Thursday, April 4, 2013

About turning old into new

I had every intention of going to Ewe & Company, a yarn shop in Kingston Springs, this evening to hang out and knit for a bit. However, whenI got home I was attacked by a pair of sweatpants. Then the sofa tractor beam kicked in and that was that.

But the night wasn't a total waste. I made a new bed for my dog. Her old bed was stinky and gross, and a stinky and gross dog bed is a bad thing. I was going to buy her a new one but, since I had been attacked by sweatpants, going to the pet store was not an option. So, I looked about my house for dog bed materials. One old wool blanket, several partial bags of quilt batts and I was in the dog bed making business.

I cut the blanket in quarters. Don't freak. The blanket is very worn and the half I didn't use had a big hole in it. Then I sandwiched several layers of polyester battle between the two pieces of wool. To keep the filling from shifting I tied it just like you would tie a quilt. I closed it up with a blanket stitch edging. Pretty simple!

The whole process took about 2 hours at the most. I love it and so does Sophie!
Blanket folded into quarters

About 6 layers of polyester batt sandwiched between blanket

Tied like a quilt

Blanket stitch edge

Sophie claims her bed

Sophie's bed in its place beside my bed
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's all play nice