Thursday, July 18, 2013

Berry good

Blackberry preserves!

I have quite a few cookbooks but no "blackberry preserves" or "blackberry jam" recipes. I found "canned blackberries" and "blackberry cobbler", but wanted plain old blackberry jam. Is that the same as canned blackberries? Not so sure. So I turned to the internet. The first recipe to pop up on the list was from Paula Dean. She's been in the news a lot lately (until all this recent unpleasantness in Florida), so why not give her a recipe a try? I don't discriminate when it comes to recipes and, truth be told, her recipe was the simplest one I could find. Four ingredients. Simple is good.

I started with just a little over 6 cups of berries that Randy picked the day before. (I know! A man picking berries?? Almost as hot as a man ironing clothes.) The recipe called for 5 cups, but I figured the extra cup wouldn't hurt. More berries, more better!


I boiled the jars and the rings...(the lids were in a separate pan)...

Mixed the berries, sugar, lemon juice and pectin...

Filled the jars and put them a water bath...

Every single one of them popped!


So the extra cup or so of berries might have prevented the jam from setting, but it still tastes great--if I do say so myself. I'll put this batch up against the preserves at the Loveless Motel and Cafe any day! 

The whole process took just a little over an hour (not counting the picking). There's something satisfying about "putting up" canned goods. Just give me a sheep and a berry patch. If there's ever a natural disaster I'll keep my family in sweaters and preserves. 


2 comments:

  1. Makes me want to try canning. And blackberry picking. And raising sheep. And...

    Oh, the things we could do if we didn't have to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table!

    ReplyDelete

Let's all play nice