Monday, January 21, 2013

About dinner...not really

I'm so clever. Before heading off to work this morning I tossed some beans, a ham bone and some water into my new crock pot. Being that it's a new crock pot isn't really much of big deal because my old crock pot worked just fine and dandy. I mention this crock pot because it has a lid that latches, which I think is pretty slick. Randy gave it to me for Christmas.


I had been thinking about the bean soup all day. It's supposed to get down to 17 degrees tonight so it's a good night for soup. Tomorrow will be a good day for leftover soup. When I pulled into the driveway and got out of my car, I could smell just a hint of the simmering beany goodness with a touch of ham. The aroma got stronger and more promising as I entered the garage. I opened the door to the kitchen as I anticipated lifting the lid of the crock pot to give the soup a gentle stir. Instead, I got hit with this.

Piss. Me. Off.

Sophie had been busy. I used to have childproof latches on the cupboard where I keep the trash can. The latches broke and I didn't replace them. Since Sophie has gone blind she hasn't been able to find the trash (or much else). Until today. Gross. Coffee grounds, partial package of stale hot dog buns, refried bean can, meat tray, chip bag, various food wrappings and an empty bottle of Wild Turkey 101. Classy. There was also a banana peel, but that didn't make me feel much better about things. I really do need to assess my diet.

 
She was not the least bit contrite, so I made a sign and took her photo. It's not a trick of photography, she really only has one eye. She's been that way for nearly all her life. And now that eye is nearly 100% blind. I'd feel bad for her, but I'm still ticked.
 
Once I took her photo, cleaned up changed into my after work clothes, I was able to enjoy the soup. It did not disappoint. I'll be going to the hardware store tomorrow for new latches.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's all play nice