Thursday, March 6, 2014

Prayer shawls....how it began and how it will continue

I would sit off by myself in a corner of the room and knit. I knit to pass the time as my son participated in his weekly Boy Scout troop meeting. Sometimes I piped in with a comment or two about an upcoming backpacking trip or progress on a merit badge, but mostly I sat and knit. The other parents, mostly dads, would ask about my latest project and I'd like to think they were actually interested in my weekly progress. However I think they were just being polite. But now that I think back had I not had my knitting with me during those meetings I might not have engaged in conversation with the other parents. In could have stuck my nose in a book or magazine and propped a "do not disturb" sign by my side, but I chose to knit instead.

"I remember my Grandmother knitting."

"Is that knitting or crochet?"

"Doesn't the string get all tangled?" (Which was funny coming from a group of men who prided themselves in being able to tie a double bowline in 14 seconds with one hand.)

The knitting seemed to be a conversation starter of sorts and I soon became The Mom Who Knits.

In the summer of 2006, rather than plan a week of backpacking in the mountains, the troop headed to Destin, Florida for 6 days of sailing instruction on the schooner Daniel Webster Clements. They needed chaperones, and another mom was going, so I volunteered. Being the only non-crew females on board, she and I shared the state room, a 6 foot by 7 foot cubby hole with one tiny porthole--very cramped quarters! So I spent nearly the entire trip on deck, nights also. As the boys learned how to trim sails and jibe-ho, I propped a couple life jackets against the cabin wall and knit in the shade of the mains'l while chatting with the other chaperones. Relaxation, fresh air, creaking ropes, building friendships. It was wonderful 6 days!


A couple weeks after the trip I received an invitation to a surprise birthday party for one of the dads who had been on the trip. The party was very well attended and I only knew a couple people from scout meetings and the sailing trip. I was extremely thankful when George, one of the dads from the schooner, sought me out. His wife, Betty, was with him and he was pretty excited to introduce us. He said to Betty, "this is Chris, she's the mom who knits, the one I was telling you about!" And it was at that moment, in a living room full of people I didn't know, that I entered the prayer shawl ministry.

George had told Betty about my knitting. Betty was a Deacon at Bellevue Presbyterian Church where they had just started a prayer shawl ministry. They were looking for knitters on Wednesday nights, and she invited me to join them. And join I did. Four days later Zack and I walked through the doors of the church, got in line for dinner, and sat among people I had never met before. It was no big deal for Zack as he spotted a group of classmates at the "youth" table and quickly abandoned me.


I remember that night well. I sat with Betsy and Wayne during dinner. Betsy marveled at my courage saying she could never just show up like that. Yep, I was a bit out of my comfort zone, but it was knitting! That common language made it much less scary. There were about 20 knitters who gathered afterwards. Susan was on my left. Donna was to my right. Bill was directly across from me. Betty, Fran, Irene, Janet, Madge, Teresa, Judy, they were all there, though I doubt they remember that first night of mine. But after the welcome I received that evening I was hooked and became a member of the church soon afterwards.


In the past 8 years we have given 106 shawls to church members, family and friends. It is a rewarding ministry, knowing that our shawls are out there providing comfort. But it hasn't been an easy 8 years. We have heard very sad stories and prayed fervently over shawls that we knit for someone who had lost a child, spouse or a parent, someone who had received the worst possible news from a doctor, someone who was spending another Christmas completely alone.


Now eight years later, we, the prayer shawl knitters, are also needing prayers and comfort. We have lost many members--some have moved away or gone to other churches but some are no longer with us at all--Bill, Susan, Mary, Anne. It has been tough, and we've only got a few knitters who still meet regularly. Betsy, who I sat with that first night, is one of them. Sometimes I wonder if she and I still have what it takes to keep going. I think of all the reasons why we should call it quits. Then I look through our notebook and recognize Susan's handwriting on the pages where the names of all the people who have received our shawls are recorded. I sort through and reread the many thank you cards. I know we need to keep the ministry going, but I'm not exactly sure how to continue. So for the rest of my evening, I will conclude this second day of Lent in prayerful knitting.



In His name.



Note: the Bellevue Presbyterian Church Prayer Shawl Ministry meets in the Narthex each Wednesday evening after the fellowship dinner. During the summer months the schedule may change. Please contact me through the a comment on this blog or contact the church office for more information on the ministry. Thanks

2 comments:

Let's all play nice