Thursday, February 28, 2013

About "Free-Sole Socks"

It's not very often that I experience "love at first sight" when it comes to knitting patterns. Sure, I see a lot of patterns that I like enough to add to my Ravelry queue, and I've been known to buy a book of patterns now and then. I've also run across a lot of patterns that should cease to exist immediately. (Possible future topic?)

But in this case, I'm talking about LOVE. Shortness of breath, flushed cheeks, special tingling sensations and a spastic rush to find my debit card.

These are the socks that did it to me. Hook, line and sinker...


Up until this point I was a tutorial DVD virgin. I had never taken the plunge--mainly because I'm a figure-it-out-on-my-own-even-if-it-kills-me kind of person. But one look at these socks and I knew that I had to make the video and bonus sock pattern mine. I was really only after the pattern, but I had to buy the stinkin' video in order to get it.

For a couple extra bucks I was able to purchase the HD version of the tutorial. What the heck? I have an HD television, might as well go big. I downloaded the video to a flash drive, made myself a comfortable spot on the sofa (ie, moved the dog) and hit PLAY. After a lengthy advertisement about other videos available for purchase, Anna Zilboorg appeared on the screen and started talking to ME about the socks. The HD upgrade was so worth it. I felt like she was in the room with me (almost).

After explaining the basic construction of the socks she brought out needles and yarn and started to demonstrate how to knit the sock. PAUSE! Wait a minute! I can knit along with this video? Like in a real class? But with no one else to interrupt? And I can rewind if I don't get it? How freakin' cool is this?? I got two balls of Plymouth Galway and my size 7 DPNs, which took no time at all because I had just sorted all of my needles, and went back to the sofa....and moved the dog.

PLAY. Anna cast on 5 stitches, I cast on 5 stitches. Anna picked up stitches, I picked up stitches. Anna knit her purls backwards (or left handed) so I tried purling backwards because Anna told me I could do it. I paused the video and tried again. Guess what? She was right. I did it! By the end of the evening, I had successfully knit a tiny sock. I am so proud of this little guy.




I wouldn't suggest this video to the new/beginning knitter, but if you have knit a sock and are comfortable with picking up stitches and basic increasing/decreasing, then go for it! This is just what I needed to jump start my knitting mojo. (I've been in a bit of a funk and needed a challenge.) When I saw this pattern, I felt my creativity go into over drive. I know the socks will take some time because this is "thinking" knitting. I'll keep you posted as I go. It just so happens that I have cranberry and khaki colored sock yarn in my stash. I swatched and the gauge is perfect!

Anna did a wonderful job teaching this technique, and I hope to take a class from her in person. The producers at Interweave did a great job with the camera work and overall quality of the production. I have since purchased another download, Spin Art, by Jacey Boggs. I've only watched a few minutes of that video, but from the little I've seen, Jacey is absolutely terrific! Needless to say, I've changed my tune from figure-it-out-on-my-own-even-if-it-kills-me to buy-the-tutorial-and-spend-less-time-swearing a blue streak figuring-it-out-and-more-time-knitting (or spinning or weaving or doing anything other than housework)!


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the review - I've been considering this video but wasn't sure. Now I am (off to buy it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! I'm very pleased. The purling backwards was a bonus. Anna knits continental so it's a little odd, but if you understand the basics (and I know you do) of which way to wrap the yarn and why, you'll do just fine.

      Delete

Let's all play nice