Sunday, March 3, 2013

About March 3rd

What makes March 3rd so special that I would write a blog about it?

I had a particularly rotten night last night. My dog, Sophie, who I've mentioned before, is declining rapidly. She's blind and nearly deaf. She's always been selective deaf (there must be some cat DNA in her bloodline) but this is not faked. I have to put blankets and towels on the edges of furniture so when she does bump into a sharp corner, it will be dulled somewhat. I have ribbons hanging from my spinning wheels so she feels them with her nose before she's ablt to get tangled up...which happened a couple weeks ago. So, last night she paced. And paced. She asked to go out at 2am and again at 4am. This is highly unusual, but when a dog asks to go out, there is a reason.

When I got up this morning, I opened the blinds in the living room to let the morning sunshine warm the room and almost stepped in the reason. Actually she left three reasons....and I'm not talking puddles. Luckily I have hardwood floors, so cleanup was not terribly difficult, but GAG. This is the first time Sophie as EVER done that in the house. Even when she was a puppy she politely asked to go outside to take care of her personal stuff. I guess this is just another sign. Poor old dog. I'm not going to prolong her life for selfish reasons. Her quality of life will determine my actions.

Once I cleaned up the living room and sanitized the floor, I was able to enjoy the beautiful sunshine streaming through my large windows. My living room on a cold, sunny morning is a wonderful place to be.


 

Zack gave me the little glass sheep for Christmas. Of course, my favorite is the black sheep. He is mischievious. The orchid is my botanic (botanical?) pride and joy. It sends up a flower shoot around Christmas every year and blooms from Valentine's Day well past St. Patrick's Day. I don't do anything special to it except for praise the daylights out of it when it blooms. It has been doing this faithfully for about 15 years. I water it now and then.

I'm sure you're thinking that all this still doesn't make March 3rd all that special. Ah, here's where I get to the point. (About time.) Today is Liana's birthday! Liana is a special friend--one who listens, offers just the right amount of advice, is encouraging, sympathetic, patient, courageous, funny (as hell), creative, and has never met a stranger. I'm so envious of her ability to walk up to people she has never met and engage in conversation. I'm not like that, but I'm so glad Liana is...because otherwise we would never have met. She was the one who started our Wednesday knitting group by posting it on Ravelry. I thought she was nuts and the day of the first meeting all my friends strongly cautioned me about meeting people I had only met online. But I showed up on that very first Wednesday and was a regular for quite a while. Then for various reasons I stopped going but Liana never gave up on me and kept on inviting me. I've started attending again and now I'm unsure why I quit going. Liana and that group of Wednesday knitters are just what I needed to get my creativity flowing again.

So HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LIANA! I'm so glad today is beautiful and sunny...just like you. Thanks for being such a terrific friend. I miss you and hope you get back downtown soon!

1 comment:

  1. I'm verklimpt. I can't think of a better birthday present than this blog post right here. Thanks so much for those words about me and I too relish our friendship. I finally felt the energy to surf some today and found this. You have made my day!! Glad to have you back on Wednesdays too.

    ReplyDelete

Let's all play nice